A roster of versatile venues, exciting professional and collegiate sports teams and monument-starring endurance races make DC a one-of-a-kind sports destination.
The nation’s capital is a sports hub, a first-class city for hosting large and small sporting events for any skill level. The city’s many venues, including Capital One Arena, The Fields at RFK, the Entertainment and Sports Arena and the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, provide numerous options for planners. Outdoor recreation is also plentiful in the city, as the District features the 1,754-acre Rock Creek Park and the national playground that is the National Mall. Marquee events like the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon and the DC Bike Ride have used the city’s monuments as a scenic backdrop to unforgettable competitions.
DC also hosts a team in every major American sport, as well as top-flight college programs.
- The 2018 Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals, led by all-time great Alex Ovechkin, take the ice for NHL action inside Capital One Arena.
- The NBA’s Washington Wizards, led by superstars Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook, show their skills on the hardwood, also inside Capital One Arena.
- The 2019 World Series champion Washington Nationals, featuring hitting phenom Juan Soto and pitching legends Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg, dominate the diamond during MLB games held at Nationals Park.
- The 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, who sport three-time league MVP Elena Delle Donne, take the court at DC’s Entertainment and Sports Arena.
- Four-time MLS Cup champions, D.C. United, guided by new head coach Hernán Losada, head out on the pitch at the state-of-the-art Audi Field.
- The NFL’s 2020 NFC East champion Washington Football Team, whose future is bright with 2020 Defensive Rookie of the Year Chase Young in the fold, play their games at FedExField in Landover, Md.
- College sports action includes a range of teams from Georgetown University, George Washington University, Gallaudet University, American University and even the University of Maryland, located nearby in College Park, Md.
Whether you’re interested in hosting an event at one of the city’s outstanding venue options, utilizing the plethora of green space, attending an exciting sporting event or all three, Washington, DC has all the features to provide you with the sports experience of a lifetime.